Turmeric popularly known as "Haldi" in Indian kitchens has its own irreplaceable place in Indian households. Not only it gives colour and aroma to Indian curries and vegetables but it has many nutritional properties which are described in Ayurveda as well.
Turmeric has healing properties which makes it a medicine itself . It is often said that we should eat our food like medicine to avoid eating medicine like food .Turmeric is one such food which makes food tasty along with its medicinal values
here are some health benefits of including turmeric in our daily food
1) Bio active compounds
It has a bio active compound called curcumin , which is only found in very less percentage. our body cant absorb curcumin directly hence it is advisable to add few peppercorns with turmeric for better absorption by body .
2) Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent , hence used to heal cuts and wounds by simply applying it on the affected area or having it whole.
3)Anti inflammatory and strong anti oxidant
Due to its anti oxidant properties It can slow down ageing and delay your wrinkles and due to its anti inflammatory properties it prevents heart disease , diabetes , arthritis and boosts your body's production of Gluthaione.
4)Good for hormones
It helps in boosting the level of brain hormones called BDNF and promote brain neurons.
5)Alzheimer's disease and dementia
It contains curcumin which according to studies can block the formation of beta-amyloid plagues that get in the way of brain function in Alzheimer's disease
6) Delay in Liver damage
Due to the presence of curcumin it delays the liver damage that can possibly lead to cirrhosis .
7) Turmeric has been seen to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumours
8)Turmeric speeds up the weight loss for weight watchers as it speeds up the metabolism
9) Reduces the risk of childhood leukaemia.
10) It has anti depression properties , hence is used in medicines to treat the patients of depression.
11)Due to Curcumin it actually prevents many types of cancer including skin cancer and breast cancer .
12) It is a natural Pain killer .
ways of using turmeric
1) It can be used to give your curries a natural colour and spice .
2) drink turmeric tea by boiling a glass of water with a tablespoon turmeric . let it cool and drink for a healthy version of yourself
3)mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric with honey for curing anaemia.
4) boil 1 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder for fighting asthma
1) mix 1 tsp of turmeric with 1 tsp of Aloevera gel to treat burns
2) mix 1 tbsp of crushed, raw turmeric in 1/3 cup of water .boil and sieve .2-3 drops of this mixture may be used in each eye up to 3 times a day to treat conjunctivitis
3) to improve your complexion apply a paste of turmeric made by adding 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with rosewater or milk every night before going to bed .leave it for 15 mins then remove with water for a fresh and glowing fair skin,
4) if you have dental problems mix 1 tsp of turmeric with 1/2 tsp of salt ,add mustard oil to this paste .Rub gently on the teeth and gums with this paste twice daily.
5) As a painkiller turmeric can ban applied with ginger on the affected area .
mix 1 tsp of turmeric with 2 tsp of ginger and enough water to make a thick paste . spread over a cloth ,place on the affected area and bandage .